Saturday, April 29, 2023

April 29: Apples

 The penultimate day of Napowrimo’s prompt.

I.

The Apple: old reliable.

Constant as the day is sure to occur after night.

Like a warm blanket

The handshake that is of appropriate firmness.

The gaze that doesn’t linger.

Words of encouragement that are measurably appropriate to a situation.

Your honest heart’s true beat.

Something you’re happy to find close to the tree.


II.

I was told

They keep the doctor away.

But just like these apples

I’m growing soft

And lumpy

And I taste my own rot.


Near or far from the tree

Is really beside the point

When everything is

Telling you

That honesty

Isn’t going to make you

Live forever.

And if there is a forever

Holy hell.

I’m already halfway to interring 

Myself into the mud.

What’s it going to be like

When it swallows me whole?


Maybe I’m marked as eventual food

For some other enterprising

Apple picker.


Instead,

I’ll just settle in

And let the mud take me

Until it’s time

For the honest beating

To go off rhythm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Your comment will be reviewed prior to posting.