Monday, April 29, 2024

Napo 4/29/24 Elegy

Today's prompt. I resisted the urge to call this poem "Leonard's version." I share this with you now because I am a flawed vessel.

I'm going to say some kind words now,
rose colored coloring activities for adults
while the children busy themselves on the margin.

I'll say you lived well enough-like a river
boat on a lazy afternoon with a limited gambling license.
There's always someone willing to try their luck.

Your luck was fireworks midday-loud percussive
thumps whose visual quality was dulled by another
sunny day. So much sun, so many explosions.

I'm going to miss the eager smile of yours-some
new bad idea creasing your forehead-the scrunch
that comes from loving you and your machinations.

I know, you are looking at us, from some unknown
direction and nodding vigorously. Hell is up, Heaven is
down, the rest is in between, they say. You always laughed.

I hope they were right about the in between-that some
small piece of you exists within our current space. Never 
here exactly, but always near enough to us. You there, smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Your comment will be reviewed prior to posting.