Thursday, April 4, 2024

Napo 4/4/24 Fiend Chorus of the Damned

 Today's prompt. I strongly recommend you read through some of the entries from the book that inspired this activity. 

Oh, my stars. All of the constellations in the sky. Hurling abuse downwards. The screams of adolescence, arriving late in your adulthood. Time and distance are imperfect vessels for your discontent. 

I cannot be mad, my errant children, never at you. You will learn your mistake in the form of a late message in blinking morse code over eons. Your father is disappointed, but your father will be long evaporated by the grunts of time. You, of course, will learn this retroactively, and then your wailings, cosmic grief, shaking the flight paths of garbage and broken rocks.

Know too, even in my disappointment, stern and fatherly, I am also ever in awe by your grace. A proud progenitor. I will send this message too, in a series of nods and winks across the night sky. Know that disappointment only comes from a place of love. Where it comes, where it goes, where it ends, we can only guess.

The universe expands. The universe shrinks. All things become dust or black holes or something that has yet to be discovered. Hear my song. See me love. Begin, end, repeat.  

3 comments:

  1. An interesting choice and I enjoyed where it took you – ‘The screams of adolescence, arriving late in your adulthood’ and ‘wailings, cosmic grief, shaking the flight paths of garbage and broken rocks’. I especially like:’All things become dust or black holes or something that has yet to be discovered’.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful poem, and well-deserved feature on the napowrimo site.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Your comment will be reviewed prior to posting.