Monday, April 18, 2022

Delayed: Best Friends

 Didn’t get to this one yesterday, so here’s NaPoWriMo Day 17 on Day 18.

I will be too much for you and the others to handle to handle.


I will scream “Cake!”

I will wear a cape with the number 88.

Profanities will be shouted after my name.


I will be the best investment your family has made.


I will roost

I will be scared of small objects

I will be the anointed caregiver.


You will cry at sad movies in my memory.


I will bark at all intruders.

I will outsmart all humans

I will shake uncontrollably.

I will hate the gun shots and the fireworks and the sounds of rural living.


You will learn I’m gone, on a bus around strangers, via a phone call with your mother. You will break into a sense of cosmic grief. Your friend will come and sit next to you and rub your shoulder. The woman next to you will give you a dirty look. At least that’s how you remember it.


We will all

come and go

So quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Your comment will be reviewed prior to posting.